HOPE GPA Calculation
The Georgia Student Finance Commission, a state agency, calculates HOPE averages based on transcript information. Walton High School does not calculate your HOPE GPA.
We uploaded your student’s transcript information last week so you can now see updated information on www.GAfutures.org.
- If your child has not created an account, he/she will need to go ahead and create one.
- Then on the right hand side of the screen under shortcuts select the link that says "Your Hope GPA."
- As long as the student's last name, social security number, and date of birth is included on their GAfutures profile and we have this information on file at the school, you will be able to view your child’s HOPE GPA report.
- If you have not provided us with your child’s social security number, you will not be able to see this information.
- A student's High School HOPE Scholarship GPA Calculation is not the same as his or her high school GPA. The major difference in the two calculations is that the High School HOPE Scholarship GPA includes only grades earned in the core subjects of English, mathematics, science, social studies and foreign language.
- All grades earned for attempted coursework in the core subjects during the student's 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th grade years that could be used to satisfy a core curriculum graduation requirement, according to the Georgia Department of Education, is equated to a grade on a 4.0 scale, where an "A" equals 4.0, "B" equals 3.0, "C" equals 2.0, "D" equals 1.0, and "F" equals 0.
- From that core coursework, any weighting added by the high school is removed, then half a point (.5) is added back to Advanced Placement (AP) and Dual Enrollment (DE) core courses up to a 4.0.
- Honors coursework is not weighted.
- The High School HOPE Scholarship GPA calculation will count all attempts of the same course, if taken more than once.
Additionally, students must also meet the Academic Rigor Requirements applicable to his or her high school graduating class.
Rigorous courses are designated with an R in your student’s GAFutures HOPE report.
For additional information and the full listing of requirements, please refer to the GAFutures website.